I love hearing from my followers on Instagram! It’s fun knowing what they like, how I can help them choose a cute, casual look, and share little tips that I pick up along the way!
One of my followers asked if I could style a basic hoodie since they wear them all the time because they are so comfy, but also want to add a cute touch! Well, I heard the request and decided to take on the challenge! I want to transform the simple hoodie into something that looks “put together” enough to go out in! I love this idea, because pretty much everyone has at least one hoodie in their closet, but I haven’t seen many bloggers give styling ideas on how to wear it much. I love hoodies because they are comfy, warm, and have that awesome pocket in front to quickly throw your phone in so you don’t lose it! So let’s get started!
Styling A Hoodie With: LEGGINGS
This is probably nothing new to you all. You want to be comfy, so you pull on your favorite pair of leggings with your baggy hoodie. Why does this work so well? Leggings add form. If you choose to be lose fitting on top, let’s choose more of a form fitting piece for the bottom half to give you some shape! They only thing is, this look is so predictable. I like to add some unique flare to an outfit like this!
1. Pair a jean jacket with your hoodie and leggings and it elevates the whole outfit in seconds!
2. Slip on your favorite, comfy sneakers, I love the look of clean, white sneakers the best. I’m wearing a $15 pair I found at Walmart that are Air Force 1 dupes. I also like that they have a little platform sole.
3. Complete the look with either a beanie, if it’s winter, or a ball cap, if it’s summer. Here I’m wearing a plain beanie, but I also own a ball cap made of corduroy that I would also swap out throughout the winter! It’s a little thicker than your average ball cap.
1. Layer a fitted blazer over your hoodie, it will give you some shape and elevate your look! I thrifted this blazer. I would suggest looking for blazers in the men’s section because I’ve found a lot of women’s blazers accidentally placed there lol You can also find them in pretty much any clothing store!
2. Wear an ankle bootie. I prefer a chunky bootie with a pointed toe to elongate your legs. If it’s colder outside, you can even wear them with knit socks!
Styling A Hoodie With: SWEATS
I know, you are probably thinking, pairing a pair of sweats with a hoodie is something I wear to bed. How can I get away with wearing that out and about and look like I didn’t just wake up? It’s all about what you style an outfit WITH, that can make all the difference in the world! Some looks and tips below:
1. Monochromatic looks are in right now. In this case, whatever color hoodie you are wearing, pair them with the same color sweats. This makes it look like you were intentional when dressing. I’m wearing a light colored rust hoodie, so I found a similar colored pair of sweats to go with it. They did not come together. As long as they are the same color, it doesn’t matter as much if one is a bit darker or lighter than your hoodie. It will still look good!
2. Wear a long, classy jacket to wear over your sweat set. It could be something with buttons like a pea coat. It defiantly adds pizzaz to your look…and warmth!
3. Wear leather shoes. I love how sweats look with my leather fur lined Doc Martins! Adding higher end materials, like leather or jean, elevates the look of sweats!
1. Add a fancy looking purse to wear over your look. I love this quilted black purse with gold details. It looks like a designer bag, but it’s a dupe. If you own a designer bag, here is it’s chance to shine! Wearing a fancy bag, draws attention away from your comfy, baggy hoodie and let’s people appreciate your accessories!
2. Wear combat boots. This gives the outfit interest and gives an extra detail to a normally “boring” outfit!
Styling A Hoodie With: BAGGY JEANS
1. Wear a camel colored coat over your hoodie. A longer one preferred so it creates an illusion you are taller than you are. I found the one I’m wearing at Old Navy in the clearance section so you don’t have to pay big bucks for a jacket like this. Anything camel colored, instantly makes it look expensive and it transforms any outfit I wear with it! It’s such a great piece to save any outfit!
2. I chose BAGGY jeans over skinny jeans because if you are wanting to wear a hoodie, chances are, you are wanting to be comfy. Looser jeans can feel like sweats when they are oversized. I’m wearing a “Dad jean” from Hollister and they are cute, as well as really comfy!
3. Leather, nice looking booties are a great touch! Again, choose something leather looking to give the look some extra special style! This will continue the “looking” expensive without paying the actually price!
1. Strappy, pointed toe heels/sandals is the perfect touch to your comfy look! Usually, I don’t advise to wear baggy on top and bottom, but when you do to be comfy, wear a pointed toe shoe to help elongate the look of your body. It “stretches” the baggy outfit out a bit! I love these strappy, black flats paired with a laid back outfit like this! Plus, I’m all ready tall, so I don’t really need the height. If you are shorter and look “too baggy” I would suggest a nice pointed toe heel!
1. Cowboy boots are in style again right now! I found a short pair with a pointed toe and they also look really cute with these jeans and hoodie. If you struggle to find a shoe that looks good with baggy pants, choose either a boot with a pointed toe or chunky sneakers!
Styling A Hoodie With: SKIRTS/DRESSES
1. Wear a cute skirt with your hoodie! Usually, hoodies are pretty plain or only have a logo on the front, so here is a chance to wear that patterned skirt that’s hard to match anything with because it’s too “busy”. You could also wear some cute, patterned shorts as well. I personally really like flowy, layered skorts! They are super cute and my favorite look with an oversized hoodie! They also make your hoodie look more “feminine”.
2. Tights are a good thing to wear under your skirts/skorts. If your tights are not comfortable, order them one or two sizes bigger than you need because, for me, they don’t fall down as much because they do not have to stretch as much. My absolute favorite tights are SHEERTEX brand because they never rip or run. They last forever and are so durable. It’s almost like you are wearing leggings.
3. Chunky boots look so cute with a skirt and tights! Most of the time, they are easy to walk in and are a comfy choice for the winter. I love the chunky, platform bottoms of my boots that I found at Target. They don’t necessarily have to be Doc Martin brand. Any chunky boot looks cute!
1. Layer a dress underneath your hoodie! Those sundresses can be worn year around! If you want a cropped look, wear a sports bra over your dress, but under your hoodie, then tuck your hoodie into it.
2. Wear some cute booties! Cowboy boots would be perfect, if you have them. I like these shorter ones I found on Shein, so you know they were pretty inexpensive. Amazon has some affordable ones too that are really cute!
3. Wear plaid with your hoodie. Like I mentioned before, hoodies are usually pretty plain so adding a pattern like plaid, really makes the outfit look more interesting! I chose a plaid dress with my hoodie and it’s super cute!
1. Put on some over the knee (OTK) boots to keep your legs warm in the winter if you don’t like wearing tights or want to add extra warmth on a freezing day. The leather or faux leather will also take the look to the next level!
ON MY INSTAGRAM, I MADE A REEL SHOWING ALL THE LOOKS AS WELL! I MAKE LOTS OF STYLING REELS THERE!
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM: http://Instagram.com/krystalsmindblog
Shop My Looks
(Scroll To The Right and Tap On What You Like!)